Celebrating Creativity and Sustainability: The Independent Handbag Designer Awards
In 2007, the world's first and only competition for handbag designers, the Independent Handbag Designer Awards (IHDA), launched. In the eight years since, IHDA has grown immensely, to the point where it now receives around 1,500 applications per year. What hasn't changed is that the IHDA offers designers from around the globe with varied levels of experience a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to present their work in front of a panel of some of the most renowned designers, buyers and influencers in the industry.
IHDA is a unique platform that effectively puts talented new designers on the map in a big way. So this year, Klean Kanteen decided to support the platform, get involved and do our part to encourage sustainable design efforts. Emily Blumenthal, founder of Handbag Designer 101 and the Independent Handbag Designer Awards sums our collaboration up this way:
"We are always looking for innovative brands to partner for the Handbag Awards. Klean Kanteen is a stand-out brand for their original designs and unique approach to eco-products which made them a perfect fit for our Best Green Handbag category."
The 2015 Independent Handbag Designer Awards created a specific entry category for designers called The Klean Kanteen Best Green Handbag. In order to enter into this category, handbags must meet the following qualifications:
- Made from entirely raw materials (100% cotton, hemp, bamboo or cork)
- Made from recycled materials (fabric, PET bottles, vinyl, etc.)
- Made from sustainable fibers (corn based, cotton, linen, ramie, seaweed, silk, soy, etc.)
- Made with recycled or reused material components (e.g. metal zippers, buttons or clasps)
- Handbag should be completely recyclable at the end of its life
- Any dyed fabric should be done with non-toxic dye that doesn't use fixing agents
The winner of the Klean Kanteen Best Green Handbag will have the opportunity to work with Klean Kanteen, receive a year-long membership to the Accessories Council and will be part of the IHDA feature in the September issue of InStyle Magazine!
Think you've got what it takes or know a designer who does? Apply today.